Quinoa Pot Pies

Quinoa Pot Pies

Pies are such a popular food, especially here in Australia! It seems to almost be  a traditional dish! Well here is one of my spins on the good ol trusty pie. These are a delicious homemade vegetarian pie with Quinoa based pastry. Perfect with salad for dinner, for lunchboxes and picnics. Serve with tasty sauce like a great chilli jam, (on the Sunshine Coast I love the stunning Noosa Chili Jam! ).


Ingredients
1 cup vege mince (I use planet organic here, it is a great local company but sanitarium , quorn or any tvp would work -or even a meat version if that's your thing!)
2 cups vegetable stock
1 onion
2 carrots, peeled chopped into small pieces
2 zucchini’s, chopped into small pieces
½ cup fresh green beans, chopped
1 red capsicum, chopped
½ cup broccoli, finely chopped
¼ cup potato, cut into small cubes
2 cups mashed potato
4 teaspoons Gourmet Garden garlic paste or 3 cloves Australian garlic, finely chopped
¼ cup gravy powder
1 tablespoon tomato paste
2 teaspoons dried thyme
1 teaspoon turmeric
karom himalayan salt to taste
cracked black pepper to taste
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 cup water
Pastry
¼ cup olive oil or Maleny Avocado oil
¼ cup butter 0r 1/2 cup butter if omitting the oil
1 cup Quinoa flour
1 cup organic plain or plain spelt flour
¼ cup sour cream
baking paper
aluminium pie baking cases or baking tray


Method
Pre heat oven to 180ç.
Combine pastry ingredients in a large bowl.
Knead together to make a smooth dough.
In a saucepan bring the stock to the boil. Add in the Vege Mince.
Simmer together for 6 minutes, remove from heat.
In a small saucepan par boil the carrot and potato until it can be just pierced with a fork, do not overcook.
In a frying pan heat the olive oil, add in the onion and garlic. Sauté until slightly transparent.
Adding in the thyme and turmeric, stirring though.
Then add in the carrot, zucchini, green beans and broccoli , stir for 3 minutes.
Mix in the vege mince and sprinkle in the gravy powder, stirring in well.
Pour small amounts of water in, stirring until the whole cup has been added on a low heat. Add more if needed.
Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Gently roll out the pastry between two sheets of baking paper, until it is nice and thin.
Cut out circles slightly bigger than the pie cases.
Line each pie case carefully with a pastry circle base.
Fill with vege mince mixture, top with mashed potato and finish with a second pastry circle.
Firm down edges of pastry on top to seal each pie. Brush with milk.
Bake for approximately 20 minutes or until pastry is nice and golden.
Serve with a tasty sauce and fresh salad.

Notes
Make a rich mushroom version by swapping the veggies with lots of fresh mushrooms and torn baby spinach leaves.
Using Quinoa flour makes this a more fragile pastry so be careful when cutting out the circles.
Quinoa is a super food with many health benefits making this is a fantastic ingredient to use, if you find the flavour too strong use a little less quinoa and a little more plain flour.

Toddler Tips
Make them toddler sized using miniature pie cases.


This recipe I created as a commercial project for supermarket, the Maleny IGA and the Local Product Local Recipe - recipe cards I did for them featuring products from the Sunshine Coast region.
I am available for recipe creation work and can create print ready beautiful unique recipes whatever your needs for your commercial, business and personal purposes, contact me for more information.

17 comments:

  1. The pies sound very interesting and i love the look of your blog. I'll be back to check it more thoroughly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yum, they sound lovely. I have been looking for some new super healthy recipes thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Rhianna!!
      Love to know if you make it XX

      Delete
  3. I really want to try quinoa! I wonder how my 4 boys would respond to me serving this up. I think I will give this a try! #teamIBOT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My two girls and their friends all gave them the kid approval :)But pies are always popular with kids, I make them into mini party pies for my two which is a real hit.
      Thanks so much for coming by XXX

      Delete
  4. These look amazing! I have to be honest though - I'm a bit of a six ingredients or less kind of chick. Definitely not a foodie. Wish I was though coz these look like they may be worth the effort...
    Leanne @ Deep Fried Fruit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!!!
      Totally not as hard as it might sound Leanne, promise :) And definitely worth it, I find them really quite quick to make, and great for school lunches for the next day which is always a bonus :)

      Delete
  5. Oooh I love anything that is 'kid approved'. I'll be trying this one for sure. Thanks xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Robyn!
      My kids and their friends loved these :)
      It is so great to get the thumbs up from a range of kids so you know it's a kid approved recipe :)!

      Delete
  6. Oh fabulous, I have been extolling the virtues of lentils today and you quinoa. If these taste half as good as they look then I am going to be in heaven.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anita-Claire!
      I LOVE lentils & try and use Quinoa lots~!

      Delete
  7. Mmmm - sounds tasty! I love quinoa, but can't seem to get the same enthusiasm from my family. Perhaps putting in a pie will make the difference!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had never even heard of Vege mince!
    They definitely look appetising. I'll have to see if I can get hold of these ingredients.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jess!
      It is really high in protein and low in fat and made by one of my favourite companies Planet Organic - they are on facebook too
      https://www.facebook.com/PlanetOrganicCo?fref=ts
      Love to know if you make them! X

      Delete

I love that you found yourself on my blog!
Thank you reading.
Have a gorgeous day!

Rebecca X

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...