No Added Sugar Choccy Cake



Due to popular request from Facebook
Here it is!!
My No Added Sugar, Gluten Free, Moist Choccy Cake XX


Chocolate Cake
Such a classic well loved invention and so many delicious variations out there!
One of my favourite things to make is chocolate cake.

I make a few versions myself and this one is my moist, no added sugar, gluten-free Chocolate cake X



Ingredients


Cake 

  • 1 cups dates
  • 2 bananas
  • 1 cup frozen blueberries
  • 1/2 cup cacoa (or organic cocoa)
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 1/4 cup butter
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla paste
  • 1/4 cup stevia (or to taste)
  • 8 drops chocolate stevia (optional for extra chocolatey flavour)
  • 1/4 cup dark agave (or raw honey or maple syrup or rice malt syrup - you pick) optional
  • 2 cups almond meal (if you are nut free read notes)
Frosting
  • 3 ripe bananas
  • 1 cup dates
  • 1 tablespoon Maca powder
  • 1/4 cup cacoa (or organic cocoa)
  • 8 choc stevia drops
  • 1 tablespoon dark agave or honey (optional)
Optional Cream Layer
  • 1 cup whipped cream. I use Maleny Dairies cream.

Method 
  • Soak all dates in a bowl of water, just covered overnight, (or for at least 3 hours). Separate into two lots.
  • Pre-heat oven to 180`c.
  • Grease and line with baking paper 2 cake pans.
  • In a bowl combine butter and stevias.
  • Mash 2 of the bananas and add into the butter mix with the olive oil.
  • Stir in almond meal, mix together, add a small amount of water if required.
  • Gently toss through the frozen blueberries and pour mixture into prepared pans, trying to have an even amount of mixture in each.
  • Bake in a moderate oven for approximately 20 minutes or until cake springs back from the tough on top.
  • Remove from oven and leave in its pan to cool for 10 minutes before carefully removing by lifting out the paper and placing on a wire rack to completely cool.
  • Prepare frosting while cake cools.
  • Frosting:  In a blender combine frosting ingredients, blend together well. adjust sweetness if required to taste.
  • Place frosting in a bowl, covered to chill in the fridge.
  • When cakes are completely cool place one on a serving plate.
  • Cover with a layer of the choc frosting and then a layer of cream.
  • Top with the second cake.
  • Cover with a layer of frosting.
  • Chill whole cake for 15 minutes
  • Serve.
  • Store cake in the fridge.
Notes
  • A very moist cake.
  • Perfect for when bananas are in season and cheap.
  • In season I like to use fresh cherries or fresh blueberries. With fresh cherries, remove pips and stems and toss through in place of the blueberries and serve with fresh cherries.
  • Make as a single layer cake and just top with frosting and optionally serve with cream.
  • Egg can be added to make the cake firmer. I have made this cake both with and without.
  • If you are allergic to all nuts you could use a gluten free flour alternative in place of the almond meal, but you may need to make a few adjustments so it doesn't become too heavy. I would also add in some sorghum flour as well as a gf flour to increase healthy protein in the cake too.
  • To make dairy free swap butter for oil and leave out cream.
Toddler Tips
  • This is a great cake for toddlers, especially with no added sugar.

Happy Cooking!

Rebecca XX
The same cake made single layer with fresh cherries X

You might also like  Maca BallsChocclicious (no added sugar) Muffins, Choc Beetroot MuffinsZucchini and Chia Seed Chocolate Cake

If you are a chocolate loving person but want to be healthy too I highly recommend hopping over and having a read of these two great blogs who have stack of gorgeous, healthy choccyness:
Natural New Age Mum
Naughty Naturopath Mum


Recipe and photography (c)RebeccaMugridge2013








18 comments:

  1. Looks YUMMY! Too bad I'd be the only one in the family who would be tempted to eat it. Silly family members who don't know what's good for them lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks AMummys Life!
      At least its pretty healthy :)

      Delete
  2. That looks absolutely yummy. Will have to try it sometime - bookmarked your page.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The cake looks super yummy.. have to see where they sell the sugar alternative here as it is not as common over in Singapore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dominique!
      You could use organic honey XX

      Delete
  4. Sounds yummy, looks yummy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks so good. I have a gluten-free recipe I use, but it has 1 1/2 cups of sugar. I can't wait to try this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Madeleine!!
      I've found that with some GF have a lot of sugar in them, I made this originally for a sugar free recipe, I really wanted to cut down how much we consume as a family but still wanted a scrummy chocoate cake :) And it just happened that the ingredients that worked really well when I was creating it were gluten free too so I was prettt happy with the result, we have this quite a lot and I vary the fruit :D

      Delete
  6. The thing that attracts me to this recipe the most Bek is the words no sugar. One of the main reasons I loathe puddings, cakes etc is they are too sweet. Natural sweetness is far more appealing than the other. Great post, fab recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks you!!
      I so agree Anita-Clare :)
      I love natural sweetness and love making sugar free goodies XX

      Delete
  7. This looks so yummy. Lots of steps - I fear I would mess something up for sure! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jessica!
      Its really easy I promise :)
      I just chuck the dates and water in the fridge the night before and it takes next to no time to make it the following day.
      I love knowing I have this in the fridge hehe XX

      Delete
  8. WOW, this looks like the perfect dessert!! Thanks for linking up at our Gluten Free Fridays party! I have tweeted and pinned your entry to our Gluten Free Fridays board on Pinterest! :)

    Hope your week is great!

    Cindy from vegetarianmamma.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds so good! Love all the healthy ingredients in it! :-)

    ReplyDelete

I love that you found yourself on my blog!
Thank you reading.
Have a gorgeous day!

Rebecca X

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...