Turmeric, Garlic & Ginger Yoghurt Prawn Spaghetti. Gluten Free


Smashing ingredients in a mortar and pestle, releasing their intense smells and flavour is one of my favourite kitchen experiences. My beautiful Thai friend Peta brought this into my life when my oldest was just a tiny little thing. It is so different to just chopping or mincing them up.
It is like passion added to the flavours; with this very earthy and intimate hands on experience with your food and its ingredients.
Unlocking the flavours in an earthy, beautiful way

If you don't yet have a mortar and pestle I highly recommend you get one, or at least put it on your Christmas wish list! You can pick them anywhere from $12 through to $200 + and tiny to large so there is one for every budget and kitchen out there!

In this recipe it brings excitement to the kitchen right away as everyone comes wondering what the great smell is! Plus using fresh organic turmeric has so many amazing health benefits as the curcumin in it is one of the most powerful natural anti-inflammatories out there.
Of huge benefit to anyone with inflammation of any kind like arthritis, uveitis, ulcerative colitis, multiple sclerosis, Ankylosing Spondylitis and general back and joint pain in the body it is also said to help prevent Alzheimer's as scientists believe it breaks down plaque in the brain and areas where they eat a lot of turmeric like India have the lowest rates of Alzheimer's in the world.
And the best bit is, you don't have to eat crazy amounts of it, they say even one meal a weel with fresh turmeric in it is beneficial!

Now if you are one of my Sunshine Coast readers I can tell you if you don't grow your own you can buy fresh turmeric from Erbackers, Jeffers Market and often at weekend markets.
Also look out for it where you live at Asian or Indian deli's and grocer stores, wholefood markets, health food shops, fresh fruit and vegetable shops, sometimes even the big supermarkets will have it.

The powerful benefits of the turmeric combined with the garlic and ginger too makes this is a fantastic dish which is why I was excited to team these ingredients with the new Barilla gluten free pasta range when they sent me out a gorgeous parcel to try. as gluten can be inflammatory for many people this gluten free spaghetti (that truly was not gluggy like some out there can be) is a perfect partnering and the result is just lovely.

This recipe is simple, fragrant and delicious.

It is also easy to make vegetarian, one of my kids ate it that way. I simply made a smaller batch in a separate pan with extra veggies and it was thoroughly enjoyed by all.
 
Turmeric, Garlic & Ginger Yoghurt Prawn Spaghetti
 
Ingredients
  • 1/2 kilo green prawns
    (I was given a big batch of super fresh, local ones from my neighbour as he is a fisherman- I know right?! Cool neighbour!) Try to find Australian ones if you can and don't be afraid to ask about them and where they are from and if the place supports ethical fishing practises.
  • Fresh Turmeric. I used a piece about 2 cm long and 1/2 a cm wide. Wash, peel.
  • Fresh Ginger. If applicable look for local! Washed, peeled.
  • 6-7 cloves of Australian garlic. (Or at least a non bleached kind)
  • 1 red onion, sliced
  • 2 carrots, peeled and sliced longways.
  • 2 zucchini's peeled and sliced longways.
  • 1 large red capsicum. sliced in long strips.
  • 1/2 lemon
  • 1 teaspoon cardamom (or use freshly ground)
  • 1/2 a kilo of natural yoghurt. I like to use Jalna or Maleny Dairies brands
  • 1 & 1/2 cups fresh baby spinach leaves
  • 1/2 bunch fresh coriander
  • Pink Himalayan salt to taste (optional) 
  • olive oil
 
Method
  • Prepare your prawns. I also devein mine and left about 1/3 with their tails on for decorative effect.
  • In a mortar and pestle smash your turmeric, ginger and garlic until it is pulp like. Take the time to slow down and enjoy this process. Make it a moment in the kitchen. Be present. Enjoy the smell sensations and you hands on with your gorgeous ingredients. If you drink, this is a lovely time to sip a nice glass of wine.
  • Cook the Barilla gluten free spaghetti according to packet instructions. I served mine el dente.
  •  
  • In a deep pan gently fry the onion in some olive oil on a medium low heat until wilted.
  • Add in the turmeric smash, stirring well for a minute or so.
  • Toss in the carrots, zucchini and capsicum, stir through for another 2 - 3 minutes.
  • Add prawns, yoghurt and cardamom and cook for around 4 minutes or until prawns are cooked.
  • Squeeze over lemon right at the end and season with a little salt if desired.
  • Arrange spaghetti on plates.
  • Top with a layer of spinach and coriander leaves.
  • Pour over some of the prawn mixture and drizzle with extra sauce from the pan.
  • Top with a little fresh coriander.
  • Serve and enjoy!
Notes
  • The gluten free spaghetti used here is available from woolworths.
  • This works just as beautiful vegetarian, increase the veggies and leave the prawns out. 
  • For those who do not like coriander this works perfectly without it as well, though I would recommend some fresh parsley in its place.
Toddler Tips
  • I leave a few strands of spaghetti long for fun but also chop a fair bit into easier eating sizes.
    My kids did not find this too spicy at all, but you could always serve kids portions with a dollop of a lovely creamy natural yoghurt on top as well.
 
Recipe, styling and photography (c) Rebeccamugridge2014
Follow my beautiful food with Bek pictures on
Instagram

***Note: I was gifted a gluten free hamper by Barilla.

8 comments:

  1. I'm not a prawn fan, but I think Boatman would love this! I can do it for lunches for him :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh how nice are you!
      PS I made a version minus the prawns too which worked just as well XX

      Delete
  2. My husband would absolutely love this. If only I read this post earlier I could have made it for his birthday dinner tonight :) I love using the mortar and pestle too. Love those fragrances. Visiting via #teamIBOT

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow this is the perfect summer dish!! So healthy and looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love using turmeric and so many studies keep coming out highlighting it's benefits. I've only used the dried spice though and have been keen to try fresh instead but I wasn't really sure how, but now I do so thanks for sharing this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is exactly the type of food I love to eat! Yummo!

    ReplyDelete

I love that you found yourself on my blog!
Thank you reading.
Have a gorgeous day!

Rebecca X

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...