Healthy and Hearty Home-Made Baked Beans

I have so many memories of being curled up on a cold Wintery night or after a long day out as a child with hot baked beans and freshly buttered toast.
It is such a comforting meal and full of protein and fibre.
While tinned baked beans may have there place it is the lovely, delicious and so nutritious home-made varieties that really shine for me.
After quite a few attempts, versions and tweaks this recipe for home-made beans has become my family's favourite version!

Hearty and Healthy Baked Beans
This recipe makes a large batch to feed a family or to give you leftovers - feel free to make a smaller amount 

Ingredients
  • 3 x tins organic cannelloni beans OR soak the equivalent in water overnight and then cook until tender.
  • 1 onion, chopped (if you have young kids/toddlers chop it finely so they don't notice it)
  • 6 large cloves of Australian garlic, finely chopped
  • 1 stalk of thyme (or 2 teaspoons dried)
  • 1 tin of organic chopped tomatoes
  • 1 large bottle of organic tomato passata sauce
  •  1 teaspoon of a great mustard ( I use a lovely local macadamia mustard made where I live)
  • 1/2 cup Apple Cider Vinegar 
  • 1/2 cup good virgin olive oil
  • 1/2 litre vegetable stock ( I use either Campbells or Massel)
  • 2 teaspoons of a nice but mild curry powder ( I promise the kids wont notice!)
  • 4-6 semi dried tomatoes chopped 
  • 2 tablespoons or raw honey OR for a vegan version natvia, agave etc (to taste)
  • dash pink Himalayan salt
  • fresh crusty wholemeal bread with organic butter and some freshly chopped parsley to serve!

Method
  • Fry the onion and garlic in a little of the olive oil until they are transparent.
  • Add in the drained and washed cannelloni beans and thyme, stir together until mixed well.
  • Pour in the tinned tomatoes, mustard, vinegar, stock, passata sauce, remaining oil and sweetner, mix well.
  • Simmer the bean mixture over a medium low heat slowly for at least 25 minutes or until it has thickened, beans are tender and flavours are to your liking.
  •  Serve.

Notes
  • These beans go really lovely with a nice dense sour dough bread.
  • Make a large batch so you have leftovers, great in pies!
  • Add some chili for a different twist
Toddler Tips
  • Serve with toddler soldiers, (long thin pieces of toast) or on top of a baked potato.
  • Optionally leave out the onion


14 comments:

  1. Hi! I LOVE that recipe and look forward to trying it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Melissa! Awesome love to hear how you like it X

      Delete
  2. This recipe sounds wonderful - and I'm wondering how long it would take if these were baked, as opposed to cooked on the stove-top. Just curious. Do you think it would work in a slow-cooker as well?

    The curry powder sounds especially yummy. Thanks for posting this, I'll look forward to trying it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't see why not? Give it a try and let me know :)
      I imagine baked would have a lovely thickness to it.

      Delete
  3. This sounds like a brilliant idea- I love baked beans on toast. To me, it is a perfect breakfast :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This does look good, Bek! Baked beans are such an easy and economical dish. I love to have a big pot of them in my oven!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I bet you make gorgeous baked beans AmyG!

      Delete
  5. This sounds delicious. I absolutely love baked beans. I'll bet the home made version is far superior and very much more nutritious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is and so easy and you can tweak it to your own liking as well XX

      Delete
  6. I love beans - economical and nutritious. I've never tried beans with curry powder. Interesting twist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It goes really well! I put a little curry powder in my bean salad as well XX

      Delete
  7. These look delicious, i will definitely have to try as i hate baked beans and have always been keen to try out my own recipe. Thanks for sharing, Bec | Bloggers Bazaar

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Bec! And the best bit about home-made is you can tweak them to your liking too :D

      Delete

I love that you found yourself on my blog!
Thank you reading.
Have a gorgeous day!

Rebecca X

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...